Everybody has a favorite, shoe, hand bag or jeans,and we get so comfortable with them and in them, that its heartbreaking to throw them away just because of some scratch, tear or discoloring. It’s much worse when it happens with a shiny new expensive item that you have just bought with your valuable money.
Here are a few very clever and effective tricks to save them and restore them to their past glory…
1. A quick spray and clean with a window cleaner on your patent leather articles, will make them glossy again
Read the details in this blog.
2. A toothbrush dipped in vinegar removes water stains from leather boots
3. Use a nail file on suede shoes to carefully clean marks, without damaging them further!
For this and other shoe cleaning tricks, tap here.
4. Freeze you clothes to get rid of chewing gum
5. If your clothes have an unpleasant smell that is tough to get rid of, try this neat trick! Put your clothes in a ziplock bag and leave them in a freezer overnight. Voila! the smell is gone.
6. Blood spots on clothing can be tough to get rid of. A mixture of salt, cold water, and ammonia will help you do the job.
7. When your leather accessories and shoes develop spots, a mixture of cold water and vinegar will help you deal with them!
See the details here.
8. Scratches on leather shoes can be removed by using wax or transparent nail polish!
Gently apply to the damaged place. When the wax hardens, wipe carefully with a piece of flannel fabric, and then with shoe polish.
9. To quickly get rid of a grease stains, try using Dish detergent, it will help you!
All you need to do is apply some detergent on the spot and rub.
10. Using Super glue will fix tears on leather shoes, it works, and its easy!
Lubricate the damaged area with glue from the inside, using a match or a toothpick. Press the glued area with a cloth for 3-4 minutes, then apply several layers of paint in a matching color.
11. Stains on Nubuck shoes are tough to clean. Here is a trick! Mix 1:3 ammonia and water, or dissolve 1 tbsp of vinegar in 1 litre of warm water and clean them; it really works!
Click here for details.
12. Dark jeans don’t look good if they fade. By adding vinegar and salt to your detergent powder when washing, they will stay dark!
Click here for details.
13. Getting rid of marks and stains on a leather handbag is tough without making it even worse; but wiping it with a cloth or a cotton pad soaked in vinegar will do the trick.
It’s important to use only white vinegar for light things because other kind of vinegars can dye them.
14. When washing silk, if you add some hair conditioner, it will really work wonders!
It will make this delicate and beautiful material even softer.
15. Old clothing items will become stiff and rough, to soften them again, soak them in salty water!
Add half a glass of salt to a liter of water, and leave your things in this mixture for 3 days. Then add some detergent, and wash them in a washing machine.
16. Velcro can be safely used to remove pilling from clothing!
You’ll find more ways to get rid of pilling on this website.