10-month-old girl left in inflatable toy drifts half a mile out to sea, luckily all ended well!

On July 3, 2015, beachgoers were shocked when they discovered a baby floating in a small yellow flotation device more than half a mile out to sea, on a beach near the town of Küçükkuy, in Turkey’s Çanakkale province.

The 10-month-old girl, Melda Ilgin, was set adrift towards the Greek island of Lesbos by strong winds and currents, according to reports.

Photo by Hanife Erdinc/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

 

According to Turkey’s BGN News Day, Melda’s parents admitted they had forgotten about her after placing her in an inflatable child’s toy. They left her in the water near them while they enjoyed themselves on the beach, totally unaware their daughter had already drifted away from them.

They were distracted and hadn’t realized the strong winds had swept Melda off into the open sea.

Photo by Hanife Erdinc/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Several beachgoers tried to swim out to save Melda, but failed.

The Coast Guard was notified. By the time they arrived, the baby was approximately a half mile (almost 1 km) from the western Turkish shore.

A coastguardsman on the rescue boat jumped out to the sea to pull the oblivious Melda, who was still sitting in the inflatable device, back to safety.

Photo by Hanife Erdinc/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

The onlookers on shore cheered and applauded as the baby girl reunited with her parents.

After the traumatic incident, the relieved mother was seen cradling Melda and offering her water.

Photo by Hanife Erdinc/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
Photo by Hanife Erdinc/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Whilst it may be understood to be an honest mistake by some, it could’ve been disastrous. Netizens were quick to comment, mostly with the same viewpoint. One wrote: “Is this worse than some parents forgetting about their child in a hot car?”

Another wrote: “I still cannot understand how parents can “forget” their babies!! Like… HOW? How do you get so caught up in what YOU want to do that the life of a little child can simply be “forgotten”?”

It’s tough being a parent, and everyone slips up from time to time, but this incident will surely be a scary lesson for these parents—one that they’ll probably never forget.

Watch the video:

Photos credit: Getty Images.

RELATED