Two months ago, a family who lost their house in a fire was fortunate that their dog, Chloe, had been rescued by firemen. However, their cat, Ringer, was nowhere to be found, presumably dead in the fire. It may have looked bleak, but that was not the end of their beloved cat.
When this Michigan family saw their house go up in flames, their cat, Ringer, disappeared along with it. “Looking for that cat, we picked up furniture, looked around beds, looked in every nook and cranny for that cat,” said Fire Chief Ronald Wise.
Firefighters saved the family dog and gave her oxygen, as she was suffering from smoke inhalation.
When the Marr family revisited the burnt-out shell eight weeks later in South Haven, Michigan, they had the shock of their lives.
Chloe was with them, and she suddenly began digging and sniffing in one spot. They then heard the faint cry of a cat. They managed to lure the cat out from under the floorboards with some food, and were shocked to discover it was their lost cat, Ringer. It had been hanging around there for two whole months, and had lost half its weight due to malnourishment.
Ringer’s owner, Christine Marr, told Fox 17 News: “This cat’s a miracle. This cat has been in this area for two months with no food or water. And Chloe just found him down in this hole. We’re assuming he was eating bugs and spiders and stuff under there.”
“I think it’s phenomenal to know that Chloe had found the cat, that’s amazing. She’s a true hero, she is. To get that cat, you wouldn’t think the cat would live that much longer,” said Fire Chief Wise.
Ringer had the will to survive, and Chloe had the determination to find him.
That is one very grateful cat and one very relieved family. To make it even sweeter, Chloe found Ringer on Mother’s Day.